Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Supporting local businesses

It all started a few weeks ago when my husband and I were trying to decide where we wanted to go out to dinner at. He threw out several chain restaurant names and we both agreed that we were sick of the chain restaurants. We decided to go to a local owned restaurant (Uptown Kitchen) instead. The owner is fabulous and he always makes a point to greet his customers and ask their names. I love that. My husband and I decided that we would begin trying to support more of the local businesses in our area in place of the chain/big name businesses.



Last night we went to a local coffee house near Notre Dame campus and enjoyed the atmosphere there. I'm sure we will still visit our regular starbucks (especially since we have made friends with the barista's there), but it's really important to help support the smaller businesses!!


As I am preparing my grocery list today, I am reminding myself to go to our local grocery store rather than Meijer or Walmart. Plus, our local grocery store has drive up service and is just over all a much friendlier place :). What are some of your favorite local places to eat/shop at???

4 comments:

krissilugbill said...

I love this blog dear friend! I completely agree with you about going local :) I love love love uptown kitchen...so amazing, and so cute! although, it is not local to me out here, but when i am home it is and i make my parents take me there! I also love Lula's. i prefer smaller, more intimate coffee houses, they are just harder to find sometimes huh? Out here a few of my favorite local stores, restaurant, etc. are called "The Good Day Cafe" for breakfast...yum and Trader Joe's for shopping, i love it cause it is close enough to walk to. The closet coffee house at this point is Starbucks. "Tex Mex" for Mexican, "Sushi Tsunami's" for sushi, and last but defiantly not least "Cherry on Top" for frozen yogurt! let's go to uptown kitchen next time i am home!

krissilugbill said...

PS...here is vikki's blog, you should follow it! I am gonna give her your too if that's okay? would you have to put in her email adress first? i can find out what it is if so, you should make your blog public!

krissilugbill said...

Okay so sorry I am like blog stocking you! but i thought you might like reading this blog too...

http://daniellesdance.blogspot.com/

It's Jeremy's older sister Danielle, the one that is married to Karl who's a youth pastor

Ashley said...

This is very important to Andy and I as well. We really avoid chain restaraunts. We have even been trying to shop at farmers markets and stuff so we can support the local farmers and get fresh produce from them. They have organic farms out here and we have been talking about going to them to get all of our meat and stocking up for a few months...it's expenive...so we'll see. Lula's is great...I've never been to Uptown. I love the title of your blog btw!